Moving out of state is a risk for the consumer seeking a moving service. Here are informative tips to help you find a reputable moving company.
Before moving out of state, here is a list of 9 tips to find a reputable moving company:
- Go with a name you know – Find companies that have been in business for at least 10 years.
- Get a referral – Ask friends, family, neighbors and colleagues for recommendations.
- Ask for an in-home estimate – Since transportation charges are based on move distance and weight, the company should physically look at your belongings.
- Don’t be hooked by the lowest price – Get three estimates. If one is much lower than the others, that is a red flag.
- Be sure the company is who it says – Some disreputable movers lure customers by using names similar to reputable companies. Check the reputable company’s website to see if the mover is affiliated.
- Don’t pay a deposit up front – Most companies only request payment at the time of delivery.
- Do your research – Find a list of movers licensed for interstate moves by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration at protectyourmove.gov. Check out the Better Business Bureau report at www.bbb.org.
- Get it in writing – Get pickup and delivery dates in writing.
- Know your rights – Federal law requires movers to give customers a copy of the “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move” brochure prior to an interstate move.
The risks for the consumer seeking moving services are higher than ever. Here is a video showing a rogue mover in action to help educate you on the scams moving companies are committing everyday.
[vsw id="fHE8aDKJ-NE" source="youtube" width="600" height="300" autoplay="no" title="no"]